San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Combating Hate Speech in Print and Broadcast Media
This is the third of three one day seminars as part of the EU project Respect Words - Ethical Journalism against Hate Speech where we will be asking the questions:
- What challenges and opportunities are there with regards to terminology, stereotyping and representation of groups in media reports?
- What codes and regulations are in place in Ireland?
- What’s the reality for ethnic and religious minority groups and NGO's based in Ireland?
09.30 – Registration
09.45 - Welcome
10.00 - Keynote Speech – Ethics and Media
Roisin Boyd (Lecturer, broadcaster and communication advocate)
11.00 - Panel 1 - Regulations and Codes towards Ethical Media
- Peter Feeney (Press Ombudsman)
- Aidan White (Director, Ethical Journalist Network)
- Michael Foley (Media Consultant, National Union of Journalists)
12.00 – World Café Style Discussion
13.00 - Lunch
14.00 - Panel 2 – Terminology and Representation of Ethnic and Religious Minorities in Media
- Chinedu Onyejelem (Editor and Publisher, Metro Eireann)
- Teresa Buczkowska (Integration Officer, Immigrant Council of Ireland)
- Rares Mihai Nicula (Social Inclusion Co-ordinator, New Communities Partnership)
- Roja Fazaeli (Lecturer in Islamic Civilisation studies, Trinity College Dublin)
15.00 - World Café Style Discussion
16.00 – Summary and Conclusions
17.00 – Close
Each seminar is a standalone event as part of the EU project Respect Words - Ethical Journalism against Hate Speech
Save This Event
When & Where
Near FM is a not-for-profit, democratic, community radio station based on the north side of Dublin, broadcasting 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. We operate an open access policy and run a minimum of two community radio introduction courses a year for new volunteers. The station encourages groups to use community media as a tool in their development work and aims to cover the issues, events and stories important in the local area. Programming involves radio drama, multilingual programmes, assisting unsigned musicians, intercultural programming, educational programming, outside broadcasts, documentaries to name a few.