Actions and Detail Panel
MASTERCLASS - Thunder Road - Breakdown of a Journey to Sundance
Sat 22 October 2016, 15:00 – 18:00 IST
Thunder Road - Short Film - Breakdown of a Journey to Sundance
Kerry Film Festival, supported by Screen Training Ireland is delighted to welcome winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 2016 Sundance, Jim Cummings to the Short Film Market in Killarney on Saturday 22nd October 2016.
The participants for this workshop are actors, writers, producers, directors and cinematographers. Experienced and emerging film makers alike would benefit from the expertise of these facilitators.
The aim of the course is to offer emerging as well as established filmmakers an opportunity to look at new and innovative ways of telling their story on screen.
JIM CUMMINGS - Producer/Actor/Writer
Jim Cummings is an internationally recognised producer, actor and writer. He won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2016 SUNDANCE Film Festival for a short film that he wrote, directed, edited, sound mixed, and starred in called THUNDER ROAD. Thunder Road is one long shot of a police officer eulogising his mother at her funeral. Gradually, over the course of the eulogy, the officer starts to lose his composure, eventually breaking out in a rendition of Bruce Springsteen’s song.
He has served as a producer on two of the most audacious and distinctive films at SXSW with Trey Edward SHULTS, KRISHA and Patrick Wang’s THE GRIEF OF OTHERS as well as the music videos of American rapper Lil Dicky, and countless short films, commercials, and features.
Jim will meet with the participants after registration and will engage in a short discussion on their background and experience.
Using the short film, THUNDER ROAD as a case study, Jim will examine the key stages in the production of the film.
1. Developing the story
2. Writing and editing the script.
3. Deciding on a style, the single shot film. He will discuss the reasoning behind shooting the entire film in one single shot and what effect that has for the audience.
4. Exploring the use of other art forms in films to tell the story, in this case music and short story. Jim Cummins will discuss how the short story art form influenced the script.
5. Performing a twenty minute monolgue as an actor. Jim Cummins will share his experience in preparation, rehearsing and filming the short film.
6. Detailing the steps involved in music royalties and negotiating with Bruce Springsteen to use his lyrics.
7. How to apply for Sundance and breakdown the costs involved in taking a short film to a high profile festival.
8. Winning at Sundance and international success. He will discuss the recognition of this short film on an international level and the lessons he has learned along the way.
The masterclass will be a relaxed format over three hours with Jim breaking down the short film journey. There will be time for screening the film, discussion and Q& A afterwards.
Masterclass fee: €25 (+ €2.19 booking fee)
This event is supported by Screen Training Ireland.