The goalkeeper is arguably the most important position on the field in the modern game of Gaelic Football with distribution and possession key facets of the game. A goalkeeper can win a game with one brilliant save or become the villain with a mistimed dive. The nature of the position requires agility, speed, athleticism, confidence, bravery and good communication skills. For decades, goalkeepers were expected to train alone or were often simply blended into the regular practice sessions with very little attention being provided to the goalkeeper’s specific needs. Goalkeepers are different from outfield players and must be trained accordingly. Specialized training is needed for specialized positions. The role of the goalkeeper has changed more than any other position in recent years. Goalkeepers are required to be as comfortable as outfield players with the ball.
This course is designed to provide GAA coaches working at youth and adult level with essential information and skills on how to deliver an appropriate goalkeeping training programme. This goalkeeping training course is specifically designed to meet the needs of the modern goalkeeping coach.
The practical elements of the course will provide candidates with the following elements
- Specific goalkeeping warm ups and cool downs
- Coaching basic individual techniques including footwork, the set position, handling techniques, diving saves (catching/deflecting/parrying), dealing 1 v1 situations and crosses.
- Learning to master ball handling improving the Goalkeepers' technique
- Learning the position and basic tasks of a Goalkeeper within the team
- Improve the keeper’s ability to make good and quick decisions, identify methods to improve anticipation skills
- Analyzing the performance of the Goalkeeper, in real time and post-game.
- Identify the physical fitness requirements needed to be a Goalkeeper, identify the incidence of injury specific to Goalkeepers in GAA Football
- Develop coping strategy to re focus while playing match, dealing with Match day condition and setback
The theoretical elements of the course will consolidate the key technical aspects of goalkeeping together with the Long Term Player Development (LTPD) model. Practical Involvement: Candidates are encouraged to participate practically to maximize their opportunities for learning. (This however will not prevent successful completion of the award)
- Wednesday 18th January @ 7pm -9.30
- Saturday 21st January @ 10am -2pm
- Wednesday 25th January @ 7pm -9.30
- Saturday 28th January @ 10am – 2pm
Cost: €100 (no payment necessary on booking)