Explore Nordic Now!
Contemporary design from Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden will be explored through an exhibition and events at Dún Laoghaire’s iconic dlr LexIcon and Nordic Makers from 26 October to 17 November.
Nordic Now will be kicked off with a seminar in dlr LexIcon on 26 October entitled ‘Nordic Now: Designing Sustainably and Sustaining Design’. The seminar will explore sustainability in contemporary design and design promotion in the Nordic region, and will reflect on how Nordic and Irish partnerships can be developed. Speakers include representatives from leading Nordic Design institutions and key Irish stakeholders from the design community in Ireland.
Join us for an interesting afternoon with addresses and presentations by:
- Carsten Søndergaard, Ambassador of Denmark
- Pat Breen, Minister of State
- Dr Elizabeth Hatz, The Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm
- Knut Bang, Norwegian Centre for Design and Architecture Centre (DogA)
- Troels Degn, School of Design (KADK), Copenhagen
- Illka Suppanen, Finnish designer
- The Irish designer duo Superfolk
- Karen Hennessy, Design & Crafts Council Ireland
And a roundtable discussion with panellists from NCAD, IADT and DCCoI and the Swedish ArkDes.
The programme can be viewed and downloaded here.
The seminar will be followed by the opening of Nordic Now in Nordic Makers' design store in Dún Laoghaire. The exhibition showcases contemporary Nordic design, including work from Hunting & Narud (NO), Leena Kouhia (FI), Kajsa Willner (SE) and others. It highlights emerging designers and small studios from the Nordic region who are exploring materiality, engaging in sustainable practice, or are redefining Nordic design.
The exhibition runs in Nordic Makers on Georges Street Lower until 17 November.
The exhibition will be accompanied by a series of informal events in Nordic Makers, each shining a light on a designer from a different Nordic country. A presentation, conversation and drinks each Thursday night of the exhibition’s run will take a closer look at a designer’s practice and how it sits in a Nordic and indeed an international context. The events will take place on 27 October and 3, 10 and 17 November from 19.00-21.00.
Free tickets are available for each event. However as places are limited, we encourage participants to register early!
Registration is open for following events:
- Seminar: Nordic Now - Designing Sustainably and Sustaining Design on Wednesday 26 October from 12.30-18.00 at dlr lexIcon
- Opening of the exhibition "Nordic Now" on Wednesday 26 October at 19.00 at Nordic Makers, Lower George Street, Dún Laoghaire.
- Norwegian design talk by Hunting & Narud on Thursday 27 October at 19.00 at Nordic Makers, Lower George Street, Dún Laoghaire.
- Finnish design talk by Saana ja Olli on Thursday 3 November at 19.00 at Nordic Makers, Lower George Street, Dún Laoghaire.
- Swedish design talk by Jenny Nordberg on Thursday 10 November at 19.00 at Nordic Makers, Lower George Street, Dún Laoghaire.
- Danish design talk by Edvard & Steenfatt on Thursday 17 November at 19.00 at Nordic Makers, Lower George Street, Dún Laoghaire.
Where can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Questions regarding the seminar: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions regarding the exhibition and design talks: email@example.com