San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Regulating against Hate Speech in Media
This is the first of three one day seminars as part of the EU project Respect Words - Ethical Journalism against Hate Speech where we will be asking the questions:
- What does ethical reporting mean?
- What codes and regulations are in place in Ireland?
- What happens when these codes/regulations are breached or ignored?
09.30 - Registration
09.45 - Welcome
10.00 - Keynote Speech - What does Ethical Reporting mean?
Colum Kenny (Emeritus Professor, DCU; former chair of the master in Journalism DCU and former member of the BAI)
11.00 - Panel 1 - Regulations and Ethics in Media
- Celene Craig (Deputy Chief Executive, BAI)
- Emily O'Reilly (EU Ombudswoman)
- Irena Cvektovic (Spokesperson on Media Ethics, CRAOL, Community Radio Forum of Ireland)
- Lisa Ni Choisdealbha (Executive Director, IBI)
12.00 - World Café Style Discussion
13.00 - Lunch
14.00 - Panel 2 – Terminology and Representation of Ethnic and Religious Minorities in Media
- Jennifer Schweppe (Lecturer in Law, University of Limerick)
- Caoimhe McCabe (Information officer, Pavee Point)
- Catherine Joyce (Blanchardstown Travellers Development Group/ Chair of ITM)
15.00 - World Café Style Discussion
15.30 - Presentation of Media Award to Young Travellers
16.00 - Summary and Conclusions
17.00 - Close
Each seminar is a standalone event as part of the EU project Respect Words - Ethical Journalism against Hate Speech
When & Where
Near FM is a not-for-profit, democratic, community radio station based on the north side of Dublin, broadcasting 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. We operate an open access policy and run a minimum of two community radio introduction courses a year for new volunteers. The station encourages groups to use community media as a tool in their development work and aims to cover the issues, events and stories important in the local area. Programming involves radio drama, multilingual programmes, assisting unsigned musicians, intercultural programming, educational programming, outside broadcasts, documentaries to name a few.