Actions and Detail Panel
Foundation Course in Counselling and Psychotherapy
Sat, 24 Sep 2016, 10:00 – Sun, 12 Mar 2017, 14:00 IST
“The First Step to a Career in Counselling and Psychotherapy”
Next intake: September 24th, 2016. Places available. Apply Now
Start the GCS Foundation course in April and begin a new career in Counselling and psychotherapy this Autumn. The Foundation can also be attended for personal development. Interviews taking place now, deposits required by March 18th.
Whether you are at a crossroads in your life looking for a direction, or considering a career change, the GCS Foundation course will help support you in gaining the confidence to take the next step. The foundation is an access course that prepares you for entry to further professional training in Counselling and Psychotherapy in meeting the entry requirements of the approved professional training programmes recognised by the Irish Council for Psychotherapy (ICP) and the Irish Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (IACP). The GCS Foundation course is accepted and highly regarded by the established Colleges and Institutes throughout Ireland. Now in its 23rd year, the GCS Foundation holds a solid reputation for offering a unique and exciting independent foundation in providing a creative experiential training approach facilitated by experienced and qualified trainers and accredited psychotherapists. This intensive programme runs over 8 monthly weekends.
Suitable for anyone interested in one or more of the following:
- A career in counselling, psychotherapy or psychology. The GCS Foundation is accepted by leading professional training colleges including the University of Limerick Diploma/Masters in Psychotherapy as fully meeting professional training programmes foundation entry requirements.
- Personal development: transform how you view yourself and improve your relationship skills.
- Develop counselling skills in your workplace.
- Meet required personal development work suggested by a training Institutes prior to starting professional training.
- Gain expert independent guidance to a career in counselling and psychotherapy.
Guidance is crucial in choosing a professional training course as they are not all of the same standard and not all degree and diploma programmes meet the established professional standards in the field of counselling and psychotherapy. Some lack sufficient personal development process and offer students little support in the way of placements.
Course Content Course Ethos
Person Centred Therapy
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Advantages of enrolling on the GCS Foundation:
1. Weekend based with 100 hours tutor contact time.
2. High quality level of ongoing personal development work. Insufficient personal development is the main reason for failing to gain entry to professional training.
2. Minimum of three accredited and experienced facilitators.
3. Expert independent guidance is available to Foundation students regarding suitability for this field and assistance to gain entry to the established professionally recognised courses with the highest standard of training. We have 23 years of feedback from students on their experience of the various training programmes available.
4. Theoretical learning, skills and personal development run in conjunction throughout the 8 weekends, as is best practice.
On completing the course you'll join previous participants in gaining entry to IACP and IAHIP recognised Diplomas, BA, Masters or Doctorate programmes in counselling, psychotherapy, and psychology. Past students now work in universities, colleges, schools, health boards, prisons, addiction centres, primary care, paid voluntary centres and in private practice. Contact with previous or present students can be arranged on request.
A willingness to engage in a personal process of self exploration, self awareness work, self challenge and be open to feedback. To be in a position to attend all course weekends (Saturday and Sunday).
Venue & Dates
The Connemara Coast Hotel, Furbo, Co. Galway is 10 minutes from Galway city and has a spectacular view of Galway bay and the Burren. Furbo has a beach, attractive walks, and a small labyrinth. Special rates are available at the hotel for GCS students.
Application procedure and Fees
Complete the online application form: Apply Online Now. The fees are paid in two parts. Initially the deposit of €450 to hold your place and the final payment of €1000 two weeks before the course commences. Fees can be paid via bank transfer, cheque or bank draft. Make cheques out to “Norman Warden” and send to: Norman Warden, Galway Counselling Studies, Cnocan An Bhodaigh, Furbo, Co. Galway. All Fees paid are non returnable and non transferable. To pay your deposit by Paypal click here.
Please note that the Foundation is an access course only, designed solely for meeting the entry requirements of professional training programmes. The GCS foundation certificate is given to each participant on satisfactory completion of all four course assignments, participation in the self/peer feedback day and a minimum 88% attendance.